Monday, January 27, 2014
OWH The Public Pulse Response to Letter on Jan. 27, 2014
"What Mr. Jack Boesch from Humphrey (The Public Pulse; Monday, January
27; "Legislature should steer clear of sports") fails to realize is that
private schools CAN control who and how many students they accept.
Public schools have to take any student that walks in the door. That
sir is where the issue comes on "recruiting." You and others certainly
have the right to not attend public school. Since you choose to send
your child to a private school the question becomes why. Numerous
reports have been published comparing private with public school
children education. Considering that private school child come from
homes with both parents being college educated and influential, you
would think the results should be greater. This is not the case at all
times.
Some parents of private school students say they pay taxes so they
should be allowed to use public school facilities and educational
material. Not a bad argument until I ask, "I pay taxes to support the
local police department, so can I drive the squad car around when I
want?" "Can I use the fire truck to water my yard?" Why not, I pay
taxes for them? Public schools are demonized by some. The work they do
is amazing when one considers the number of issues students bring to
school from home. Bottom line is this, you want something more. That
is cool, but you should not expect taxpayers to support ANY PORTION of
the elitism you wish for. As a former coach (even at a private school)
it is not a fair playing field with public schools. Senator Karpisek is
bringing this uneven issue to the forefront. When a private school
uses its "right" to pick and choose who attends their school, that is
where it
becomes unfair. When a private school allow some to attend without
paying tuition, that is unfair as well."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment