Saturday, November 9, 2013

American Education

     I believe education in the U.S. would be better if we switched to a system where students can track towards vocational careers or white collar ones.  Students that want to be a mechanic or carpenter would be better prepared for their careers if they had more focus in high school in those areas.  Some would say those students need English, math, science, etc and therefore would need to be in those classrooms.  I would argue that all of those subjects could be covered in a mechanics class.
     The students with interest in these areas would be better off with this system.  Those who want to be doctors, lawyers, etc would be better as more focus could be placed on making them better students.  It would be a win - win situation.
     I have heard others ask what about the student who chooses a vo-tech path and then change their mind.  I do not see a problem.  Very rarely is someone going to switch from a auto mechanic to a surgeon.
     This plan would improve education and America as a whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment